OTT (over-the-top) and CTV (connected TV) are two of the most common buzzwords in the media and technology industry today. But what do they actually mean?
OTT (Over-the-top) and CTV (Connected TV) are both ways to watch TV, but they are different. OTT is when you watch TV over the Internet, without a cable or satellite subscription.
CTV is when you watch TV through a cable or satellite subscription, but you can also use apps and other devices to watch TV on other screens, like your phone or laptop.
Is OTT and CTV the same?
OTT and CTV are both types of video streaming services, but they are not the same.
OTT (over-the-top) is a service that allows users to watch TV shows and movies online, without a cable subscription.
CTV (community television) is a type of local television that is available in some cities and towns. It is usually run by volunteers and features content that is produced by members of the community.
What is OTT (Over-the-top)?
OTT is a term used in the telecommunications industry to describe content or services that are delivered over the Internet, bypassing traditional cable, satellite, or broadcast providers.
OTT services are those that are delivered over the top of an ISP’s network, using the public Internet. This means that the service is not delivered through the traditional cable or satellite providers. Instead, it is delivered as a standalone app or website.
Examples of popular OTT services include Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
Benefits of OTT(Over-the-top)
OTT (over-the-top) content is video or audio content that is delivered to subscribers over the Internet, bypassing traditional cable or satellite providers. There are many benefits to using OTT content, including cost savings, increased flexibility, and more. Here are the five main benefits of using OTT content:
- Cost Savings: OTT services are often cheaper than traditional cable or satellite TV services. For example, Netflix costs $8 per month, while cable TV can cost $50 or more per month.
- Wider Reach: OTT allows content providers to reach a large audience with minimal effort.
- Freedom from contracts and commitments. With OTT services, there are no contracts or commitments required.
- Variety. OTT services offer a wide variety of content, including movies, TV shows, documentaries, and live sports.
- Selection. OTT services offer a much wider selection of content than traditional TV channels. You can find everything from current movies and TV shows to classic films and documentaries.
What is CTV (Connected TV)?
CTV is a term used to describe video programming that is delivered to televisions through broadband internet connections as opposed to traditional broadcast or cable TV signals.
CTV can be accessed through devices such as smart TVs, streaming media players, and digital antennas.
Although the term is not widely used, it is estimated that around 60 million Americans watch CTV programming.
This can include movies, TV shows, music, and more. CTV allows viewers to watch this content on their TVs, rather than having to watch it on a computer or mobile device.
Benefits of CTV (Connected TV)
TV viewership is evolving. With traditional TV viewership on the decline, networks and advertisers are looking for new ways to reach viewers. One such way is Connected TV (CTV), which allows viewers to watch TV shows and movies on their smart TVs, phones, and other devices.
Here are 5 benefits of CTV:
- Reach a larger audience. CTV allows networks and advertisers to reach a larger audience than traditional TV.
- More Control: Another benefit is that it gives viewers more control over what they watch. Viewers can choose from a variety of channels, as well as on-demand content. This allows them to watch what they want and when they want.
- Rich Experience: Additionally, CTV provides a richer viewing experience than traditional television. It offers viewers the ability to interact with content, as well as to view multiple channels at the same time.
- Customization: Connected TV (CTV) allows viewers to interact with content, customize their viewing experience, and connect with others who share their interests.
- Affordable: CTV is affordable because it doesn’t require a costly cable or satellite subscription.
Are CTV and OTT the Future of Advertising?
CTV and OTT advertising are becoming more popular due to the ability to target specific demographics.
Over the past few years, there has been a dramatic shift in how people consume television. With the advent of streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu, viewers are now able to watch their favorite shows whenever they want, wherever they want.
This has led some industry experts to suggest that traditional cable TV is on its way out, and that advertisers should shift their focus to over-the-top (OTT) platforms instead.
CTV is a television advertising model that allows advertisers to target viewers based on their geographic location and cable provider.
OTT is an abbreviation for “over the top,” which refers to content delivered over the internet, rather than through traditional broadcast or cable TV providers.
OTT advertising is growing in popularity because it allows for very specific targeting of viewers.
In conclusion, OTT refers to streaming content directly to a television, computer, or another device, while CTV refers to content that is streamed through traditional cable or satellite services.
OTT has become increasingly popular in recent years as more and more people shift away from traditional cable and satellite services.
However, CTV is still the most popular way to watch television, with over 90% of Americans using it.
Whether you prefer OTT or CTV, there are plenty of options out there for you.